Generations of Rockford residents fondly remember the Hilander Foods name. The local grocery store chain was first founded as the Sanitary Meat Market in 1919 by Joseph Castrogiovanni and his wife, Rose. Eventually, the store was re-named Hilander Foods and locations popped up around the Stateline. The Castrogiovanni family continued to operate Hilander for decades, before selling the brand in 1997. Eventually, Kroger Supermarkets took over Hilander, followed by Schnucks Markets. The Hilander Foods banner hung on valiantly throughout this turbulent time, but eventually the seven Hilander stores (in Rockford, Cherry Valley and Roscoe) were rebranded as Schnucks and the Hilander name was no more.